100 Litre Complete Wormery - Black
A neat and eco-friendly way to compost your food and garden waste; a wormery is a great way to get started with composting. Children can learn about nature by way of the worms, and you can have the benefit of 100 litres of composting space - big enough to break down the compostable waste of a small family.
- Trays rest on each other - worms can always reach every level
- Drown proof sump - worm steps mean worms can climb back out
- 25L of waste per tray - with easy lifting handles
- Mix of worms - some do better in colder weather, some compost more
- Stable base - helps prevent wobbling or falling over
- Made of treated recycled plastic - doing your part for the environment
The innovative design of this wormery is developed for the safety and assistance of your worms. The trays rest upon each other, which ensures the worms are free to roam the whole wormery at all times, and are 17cm deep, giving worms enough compost to burrow into, ensuring warmth over the cold winter months. The sump is cleverly designed with 'worm steps', which keep your worms from drowning. With 25 litres of compost space per tray, this is a large wormery, with plenty of room for the food waste of a small family.
The mix of worms is split between the two most popular composting worms - Red/Tiger worms (Eisenia andrei/fetida) and Dendrobaena worms (Eisenia hortensis). Tiger worms can eat their body weight in waste per day, and weight between 0.5g to 1g, whereas Dendrobaena worms eat half their body weight a day and weigh 1.0g to 2.0g. Tiger worms can breed faster, and Dendrobaena are better at surviving acidic conditions and cold temperatures. Having a mix ensures that you get the best of both worlds. Worms breed quickly, and can double their population every three to four months.
The wormery is made of recycled, treated plastic, which has protection against UV light, and will not go brittle. Using recycled plastic adds even more eco pride to your wormery. With a stable base, the wormery is prevented from balancing on flimsy-legged stands, and is instead close to the ground and kept steady.
What's In The Box?
- 4x tray
- 1x sump (for liquid collection)
- 1x sump tray
- 1x base unit stand
- 1x easy turn tap and back nut
- 1x lid
- 2x screws and wingnuts
- 1x coir block (makes 9L of initial bedding)
- 500g mixed composting worms
- 250g worm food
Length 43cm (1ft 5in) x Width 43cm (1ft 5in) x Height 90cm (2ft 11½in)
5 year warranty on the wormery