Tayberry 3L Pot by Primrose & Sons
A vigorous blackberry/raspberry hybrid. High yields of juicy, sweet, aromatic berries that can be twice the weight of a large raspberry. Consistently higher yielding than Loganberry, the long conical fruit is best picked when deep purple-red in colour. Excellent for jam making and puddings but can also be eaten fresh. The fruit freezes well too. The stout prickly stems require permanent support so train against a wall or fence. Self fertile.
- Arrives as: 3L Pot
- Approx Height on Arrival: 20-40cm
- Harvesting Month: July/August
- Harvesting Period: Mid
- Eventual Height & Spread: 1.8m x 1.5m
- Rate of Growth: 2-5 Years
- Habit: Bushy
- Uses: Jams, Cooking, Smoothies, Eating Fresh
- Planting Period: All Year
- Self Fertile: Yes
- Planting Distance: 1.5m (5ft)
- Light Preference: Partial shade, full sun
- Soil Preference: Acid, alkaline, neutral, clay, loamy, sandy (will tolerate most soil types)
- Moisture: Well-drained
Plant in well-draining soil using the planting distance specified in the characteristics above.
Some shade can be tolerated but more fruit will be produced at a sunny site.
Dig a hole at least twice the size of the rootball, place plant in ensuring the crown is level with the ground. Backfill with soil and firm well before watering. Mulch for best results.
These fruits should be eaten or frozen within a few days of harvest. They please even the most sophisticated of palates, and can be made into jams and preserves to bring great summer memories on autumn or winter days. Freshly picked fruit will bring your desserts to life with a flavour that simply can't be matched by mass produced, shop bought fruit. When planning your garden, try to choose varieties with fruits that ripen from early summer to late autumn to ensure a constant supply of fresh fruits throughout the warmer months.