240cm Magnolia 'Pink Beauty' | Full Standard | 15 Litre Pot
A low maintenance Magnolia forming dusky pink blooms
Magnolia 'Pink Beauty', does exactly what its name implies; produces abundant, beautiful pink blooms! Flowering from late spring, this Magnolia tree is a great choice for the less experienced gardener as it will cope in harsh winter conditions, and is neither fussy when it comes to soil. The elegant, tulip-like flowers gracefully sit atop their branches, where they will quickly become a focal point within your spring landscape.
- Supplied As: 15L pot
- Height on arrival can vary depending on when you purchase your tree, and what rootstock and variety combination you buy: 180cm - 240cm
- Eventual height and spread size depends on both environmental and genetic conditions: 4m (13ft) x 2.5m (8ft)
- Flowering Period: Spring
- Flower Colour: Pale pink
All trees arrive in an extra thick cardboard box with a clamp to hold their pot in place. This prevents them from moving around on their journey.
Nursery staff will wrap the roots of our bare root trees and use compost to keep them moist during transportation. This extra protection prevents them from drying out, allowing for a flying start. We also use the same specialised box that our potted trees have to keep them nice and secure as they make their way to your home.
- Hardiness: While magnolia trees originate from North America and Asia, the varieties we stock have been specially bred to cope in colder weather. As such, they will be fully hardy in the UK climate.
- Position: Magnolia trees benefit from being planted in full sun. Planting them in a sheltered spot will also help them put more resources into their flowering display.
- Soil: Soil types can be an unwelcome confusion as many plants will adapt to their conditions. Nonetheless, less than ideal conditions will certainly limit your Magnolia's growth. Waterlogged soils will starve them of oxygen, which plays a key role in photosynthesis; causing their roots to rot and creating an optimal environment for disease. Similarly, compressed soils can starve them of oxygen and water, so do not compress the soil when planting.
Bare root and containerised trees have differing planting requirements, detailed below:
Watering: Bare root trees should have their roots soaked in water for up to 2 hours before planting, while with containerised trees, it is important to drench their root ball before planting.
Pruning: Another difference is that for bare root trees, it is useful to prune their woody roots back a few inches. However, for containerised trees, you should free any spiralized roots growing around their rootball's circumference.
Planting: With bare root trees, you should dig a hole to enable the graft point to be above the soil, while with containerised trees, the pot should sit no lower than an inch below the ground.
Bare root and containerised trees also share planting requirements, detailed below:
With both, you should dig a hole that is twice the radius of their rootball. Stake your trees no more than 2 - 3 inches from the stem, and make sure that they are pointing away from the prevailing wind.
Fill the planting hole with a mix of compost and garden soil, finishing with fertiliser and mycorrhizal fungi. Take care to not compress the soil.
Once you are happy with your efforts, give your tree a generous watering.
Add mulch on top (this can be bark and wood chippings, compost, manure, leaf-mould, and stones), and ensure that these do not touch the stem of the tree.
Tie the stake to your tree (and leave space for growth), and place a rabbit guard around your tree to protect it from harmful pests.
Apply fertiliser and replace decomposed mulch come spring. In autumn, remove fallen leaves to prevent the risk of disease. You should also make sure that the ties are not rubbing your tree.
|Deciduous Or Evergreen||Deciduous|
|Flowering Month||March, April, May|
|Needs Ericaceous Compost?||No|
|Stem/Bark/Cane Colour||Brown, Green|
|Trained As||Full Standard|
|Supplied As||Container Grown Ornamental Trees, Mature Ornamental Trees, Half Standard Trees|
|Supplied As||15L-18L Pot|
|Shop By Category||Ornamental Trees|