This fantastic, dense, semi-evergreen Privet is a highly versatile hedge which does well in almost all environments including urban gardens as it carries a high resistance to pollution. The glossy, green leaves give way to protruding white flowers in summer and the hedge usually manages to keep these leaves all year round, apart from in harsh winters where it may shed some or all leaves.
|Discounts for quantity |
- Flower Colour: white
- Foliage Colour: green
- Approx. Growth Height: 5m (16'5")
- Flowering Period: spring
- Tolerance: very shade tolerant, somewhat tolerant of acidic soils
- Growing Habit: bushy
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Exposure: exposed or sheltered
- Rate of Growth: fast
- Wildlife friendly, flowers attract bees and berries attract birds. Dense and good for nesting
- Arrives bare-root at a height of 60-90cm (2ft-3ft)
- Light Requirements: full sun, partial shade, shade
- Soil Requirements: loam, sand, clay
- Moisture: moist but well-drained
- Planting Distance: 60-90cm (2ft-3ft)
Privet will grow any well-drained soil in shade, sun or partial shade.
Caring and Maintenance
After planting, thoroughly water your privet to help establish roots. Privet hedges only need to be trimmed once a year, in late spring or early summer, when the hedge is producing new shoots. Privet should not be pruned or trimmed during particularly hot or dry periods.
Please Note: No part of this plant is edible and it should not be planted in reach of grazing animals such as horses and cattle.