2ft 'Vanessa' Grape Vine | 2L Pot | Seedless | Outdoor
Perfect for the colder regions of the UK
Early variety, performs well in dry and cooler climates.‘Vanessa’ has real cool weather credibility, originating in Vineland, Ontario, Canada in 1983 and is one of the hardiest of the seedless grapes. It is similar to ‘Flame’, but the skin colour is a deeper red and is more uniform, with a firm, crisp skin and a mild, sweet and fruity taste. The bunches hang down from the vine and are easy to harvest. Parent varieties are Seneca x New York 45910, so it’s no surprise it can cope with cooler climates, short growing seasons and dry summers.The fruit can be eaten as dessert grapes, or made into jams, jellies, juice or wine - they also store well. The self-fertile plants can also be grown under glass in colder areas.
- Location: Outdoor
- Seedless: Yes
- Colour: Red
- Harvesting Period: August-September
- Estimated Time to Best Yields: 2 Years
- Uses: Eating Fresh, Wine-Making
- Supplied As: 2L Pot
- Height on Arrival: 60cm (2ft)
- Planting Distance: 1.8-2.7m
- Eventual Height & Spread: 10m x 10m (33 x 33ft)
- Dig a hole that is twice the radius of your plant’s rootball.
- Before planting, drench the rootball.
- Place the pot in the planting hole, making sure that it sits no lower than an inch below the ground.
- Fill the planting hole with a mix of compost and garden soil, finishing with fertiliser and mycorrhizal fungi. Take care to not compress the soil.
- Provide your plant with a generous watering.
- Add mulch on top, (whether bark and wood chippings, compost, manure, leaf-mould, and stones). Try to keep the mulch from touching the stem.
- Hardiness: While grapes originate from the Mediterranean and Central Asia, they are hardy enough to survive the UK's winters. However, they can sometimes suffer from frost damage. To avoid this, try to plant them in a south-facing location.
|Harvesting Period||Mid Season Fruit Trees|
|Features||Fruiting Climbing Plants, Seedless Grape Vines|
|Harvest Month||August, September|
|Location||Outdoor Grape Vines|
|Needs Ericaceous Compost?||No|
|Species||Grape Vines, Soft Fruit Plants|
|Time To Cropping||1 Year|
|Uses||Fruiting Plants Suitable For Eating Fresh, Fruiting Plants Suitable For Juicing|
|Colour||Red, Red, Black & Blue|
|Annual Rate Of Growth||Medium Growing|
|Supplied As||2L Pot|
|Supplied As||2L-3L Pot|
|Type||Soft Fruit Plants|