3ft Camellia 'Lady Vansittart' | 4L | Camellia japonica
Semi-double white and pink flowers
An unusual camellia with semi-double, white flowers, flushed and striped rose-pink, and distinctive glossy dark green leaves. This upright, evergreen shrub is less vigorous than other varieties of camellia and as a result it is easy to keep small and neat. Since it's less vigorous than other varieties of camellia 'Lady Vansittart' is perfectly suited to planting in a container to bring some colour to a terrace or patio and will do best in ericaceous soil in either partial shade or sun. 'Lady Vansittart' flowers profusely and very reliably from February right through to April. Easy to grow and super reliable this handsome, evergreen shrub has glossy, bright green leaves providing year long interest.
- Flowering Period: March
- Flower Colour: White/Pink
- Flower Type: Semi-double
- Fragrant: Slightly
- Features: Intricate flower
- Supplied As: 4L Pot
- Height on Arrival: 60-90cm (2-3 ft)
- Age: 2 Years
- Eventual Height & Spread: 2.5m x 1.8m (8 x 6ft)
Your Camelia will be delivered directly from our trusted nursery. This means that you’ll receive a nursery fresh plant which was on the growing table one day, and at your door the following. Our expert nursery has spent decades perfecting the art of watering, feeding, and pruning Camellias, and will do so until hours before they are packed.
Your Camelia will be packaged into a specially designed, extra thick cardboard box, which will hold it securely in place. They will then be delivered via a delicate courier network to prevent any chance of damage on their journey to your home.
Please note: where your plant is supplied with a pot, your plant's 'Height on Arrival' includes the pot
- Dig a hole that is twice the radius of your plant’s rootball. Make sure that you drench the rootball before planting.
- Place the pot in the planting hole, and make sure that it sits no lower than an inch below the ground.
- Fill the planting hole with a mix of ericaceous compost and garden soil, finishing with ericaceous fertiliser and mycorrhizal fungi. Take care to not compress the soil.
- Once you are happy with your efforts, give your Camellia a generous watering.
- Add mulch on top (whether bark and wood chippings, compost, manure, leaf-mould, and stones), and make sure that the mulch doesn’t touch the stem. Please note, the organic materials should come from acidic sources such as conifers.
Advice on hot and droopy plants
If your plants are looking a little wilted right now, don’t worry! Plants like to be filled with water to keep their structure, and when it’s hot that water evaporates.
Just give them an off-schedule watering and they’ll be right as rain in no time! Be careful not to flood them - plants don’t like extremes.
- Hardiness: Camellias are concentrated in temperate regions; primarily the Himalayas, China, and Japan. As such, they are more than suitable for the UK's mild climate.
- Position: Camellias thrive in dappled shade and a few hours sunlight a day will be perfectly sufficient. Planting your Camellia in a sheltered spot will also help it put more resources into flowering.
- Soil: Camellias are suited to acidic soils below 5.5pH, and a pH above this will reduce the amount of nutrients they can absorb. You can increase the acidity of their soil by watering them with rainwater, and using pine needles and ericaceous compost as mulch. With chalky soils, you are better off planting your Camelia in a pot filled with ericaceous compost.
- Pots: Planting in pots is recommended as it can be difficult to maintain acidity in your garden’s beds. Using ericaceous compost (and ericaceous fertiliser) is essential, but it may need replacing once in a while.
Primrose is the place to be to Discover Everything Garden.
We were created in 2003 to become the UK's largest online-only garden centre. Thousands of plants, planters, awnings, garden furniture sets, water features and more line our digital shelves, and we're ready to fill your garden with comfort, quality, colour and style.
If you'd like to find out more, check out our 'About Us' page.
We want you to be happy with your purchase from the moment it arrives, but if you aren't you have the right to return it within 14 days. Just head to our Returns Page, send us an email, receive a returns number and fire your product back to us.
We'll refund the full cost as well as standard delivery.
Highlands and Islands
We calculate delivery costs at checkout based on your entered postcode, so you'll know at that stage if your chosen product can be sent to you. If you have any queries, please head to Contact Us and send over a form, or visit our Help Centre.
|Deciduous Or Evergreen||Evergreen|
|Features||Plants For Spring Blossom, Winter Interest Plants|
|Flower Colour||Pink, White|
|Needs Ericaceous Compost?||Yes|
|Supplied As||4L-5L Pot|
|Special Offers||Save 15%|
|Shop By Category||Ornamental Shrubs|