3ft 'Regent' Grape Vine | 3L Pot | Outdoor
Reliable multi-purpose grape
Top choice for commercial UK grape growers - produces wines with high alcohol content and a rich colour.
‘Regent’ produces good-quality fruit for juicing or making wine. In good growing years, the fruit is sweet enough to eat as a dessert grape. Grapes are early to ripen and have excellent resistance to fungal diseases. Originally from Germany, the grape’s parents are Chambourcin x Muller Thurgau.
Leaving the fruit on the vine for as long as possible will really boost the sugars for wine making. The attractive leaves can also be stuffed for dolmas, Greek-style. ‘Regent’ can also be grown under glass in northern areas. Properly pruned for fruit, the vine should reach no more than 2m (6’) x 2m (6’), however, untrained plants may reach up to 5m (16').
- Location: Outdoor
- Seedless: No
- Color: Red
- Harvesting Period: August-September
- Estimated Time to Best Yields: 2 years
- Uses: Eating Fresh, Wine-Making
- Supplied As: 2L Pot
- Height on Arrival: 1m (3ft)
- Planting Distance: 1.8-2.7m
- Eventual Height & Spread: 10m x 10m (33 x 33ft)
- Dig a hole that is twice the radius of your plant’s rootball.
- Before planting, drench the rootball.
- Place the pot in the planting hole, making sure that it sits no lower than an inch below the ground.
- Fill the planting hole with a mix of compost and garden soil, finishing with fertiliser and mycorrhizal fungi. Take care to not compress the soil.
- Provide your plant with a generous watering.
- Add mulch on top, (whether bark and wood chippings, compost, manure, leaf-mould, and stones). Try to keep the mulch from touching the stem.
- Hardiness: While grapes originate from the Mediterranean and Central Asia, they are hardy enough to survive the UK's winters. However, they can sometimes suffer from frost damage. To avoid this, try to plant them in a south-facing location.
|Harvesting Period||Mid Season Fruit Trees|
|Features||Fruiting Climbing Plants|
|Harvest Month||August, September|
|Location||Outdoor Grape Vines|
|Needs Ericaceous Compost?||No|
|Species||Grape Vines, Soft Fruit Plants|
|Time To Cropping||1 Year|
|Uses||Fruiting Plants Suitable For Eating Fresh, Fruiting Plants Suitable For Juicing|
|Colour||Red, Red, Black & Blue|
|Annual Rate Of Growth||Medium Growing|
|Supplied As||3L Pot|
|Supplied As||2L-3L Pot|
|Type||Soft Fruit Plants|