20-30cm 5 x Asparagus Gijnlim Bare Root
5 x Asparagus Gijnlim Bare Root
Asparagus planting is becoming a popular hobby for its fresh shoots in late Spring. Gijnlim is a great variety to start with as it is one of the easier and more reliable to grow and provides great crops of fresh green spears which carry an excellent taste and keep well for asparagus.
Asparagus is suitable for Spring planting - try to avoid the last heavy frost. Raised beds are not necessary they can be planted into borders or traditional beds. Avoid planting the asparagus on the site of old asparagus beds as this may cause problems with disease. Choose an area that is frost pocket free and if soil is particularly heavy, then you may need to consider creating a raised bed. Ground must be kept weed free before planting and through to cultivation for best results.
- Arrives as: Bare Root
- Approx height on arrival: 5-10cm
- Plant is approx. 1years old
- Foliage Colour: Green
- Approx. Growth Height: 25cm
- Harvesting Period: October
- Tolerance: Drought tolerant once established
- Uses: Salads, side dishes, grilled
- Hardiness: Somewhat Hardy
Each plant is grown and stored in plastic-free materials, and for this we are very proud. These include the biodegradable fibre pots that each vegetable is grown in (which can be placed straight in the ground). When ready, they will be carefully wrapped up in specially-designed and sustainably-sourced cardboard packaging. We additionally use moisture-resistant wax paper to keep every plant safe, and subsequently fill each box with straw for added padding. All packaging will be extensively trialled to ensure that your plants arrive safely, but we will still utilise a delicate-parcels courier just to be certain.
- Unpack your plants: Preferably straight after they arrive, you should carefully unpack your plants. They may appear slightly tired after their journey, however they will soon perk up again.
- Identify each plant: Each type of plant (but not each individual plant) will be clearly labelled. Lay them out into their respective plant types (such as wild rocket, cauliflower, or peas).
- Provide a drink: The roots of your plants may be dry, so provide all of them with a nourishing drink of water. Ensuring that the roots are stood upright, submerge the roots of each plant for a few minutes in a container of clean water.
- Their position: For the best results, plant your vegetables in a site that receives full sun.
- Soil types: You should always avoid waterlogged soils. This is because they can lead to root rot and compacted surroundings, which will hinder your vegetables’ growth.
- Planting distance: Plant your plugs between 15 - 20cm apart, and keep their stems level with the soil. Each row is best spaced 15 - 30cm away from one another.
- Watering requirements: Water when planting, and also during periods of drought.
- Hardiness: Our trusted nursery staff will attentively care for your vegetables, and only deliver them when it is warm enough for them to be planted in your garden.
|Harvesting Period||Mid Season Fruit Trees|
|Needs Ericaceous Compost?||No|
|Uses||Fruiting Plants Suitable For Cooking|
|Annual Rate Of Growth||Fast Growing|
|Supplied As||Bare Root|
|Supplied As||Bare Root|