5ft 'Brogiotto Nero' Half Standard Fig Tree | 10L Pot
Lovely ornamental variety
Ficus ‘Brogiotto Nero’ is a hardy, vigorous fig tree which is sure to become an interesting focal point to any garden.
It’s five-lobed, broad foliage helps the tree to achieve a delightful aesthetic charm, reminiscent of the Mediterranean countryside. And then there are the fruit. Sweet, delicious and in abundance the figs of ‘Brogiotto Nero’ which can be harvested from the summer are sure to make there way to the kitchen or can be eaten straight off the tree!
'Standard' is a term to describe the size of the tree as it is delivered to you. The eventual growth height of the tree is no different. Standards are more mature with thicker stems.
- Supplied As: 10L Pot Standard
- Height on Arrival: 1.5m (5ft)
- Age: 3 Years
- Eventual Height & Spread : 5m x 2m (16 x 6.5ft)
Fig trees are ‘parthenocarpic’, which means that they still bear fruit in the absence of a pollinator. As parthenocarpic fruits aren't pollinated, they will not produce seeds, so can only be propagated vegetatively from cuttings. These cuttings are grown on their own roots, and as a consequence figs will not have rootstocks.
- Needs A Pollination Partner?: No
- Harvesting Period: July-September
- Estimated Time to Cropping: 1 Year
- Estimated Time to Best Yields: 4 Years
- Uses: Eating Fresh, Cooking
We have developed an eco friendly polypot that is currently in use across our 9 litre range. This polypot has less than 20% of the plastic used by a regular pot, and is importantly recyclable. Polypots also prevent root spiraling, encouraging a healthier root system.
All trees arrive in an extra thick cardboard box with a clamp to hold their pot in place. This prevents them from moving around on their journey.
Nursery staff will wrap the roots of our bare root trees and use compost to keep them moist during transportation. This extra protection prevents them from drying out, allowing for a flying start. We also use the same specialised box that our potted trees have to keep them nice and secure as they make their way to your home.
- Dig a hole that is twice the radius of the rootball.
- Before planting, drench your tree’s rootball.
- Place the pot in the planting hole, making sure that it sits no lower than an inch below the ground.
- Fill the planting hole with a mix of compost and garden soil, and add fertiliser and mycorrhizal fungi. Take care to not compress the soil.
- Once you are happy with your efforts, provide your tree a good watering.
- Add mulch on top (whether bark and wood chippings, compost, manure, leaf-mould, and stones). Try to keep the mulch from touching the stem.
- Apply fertiliser, and replace decomposed mulch come spring.
- Hardiness: As they are native to Western Asia, the Middle East, and the Mediterranean, Fig trees are best grown in full sun. Figs should be wrapped in frost protection come winter, and once dormant, potted plants can be moved into any unheated outbuilding.
- Position: To produce a good crop, figs need to be grown in a greenhouse, or against a south facing wall. Planting your fig tree in a sheltered spot will help prevent uprooting in strong winds.
- Soil: Soil types can be an unwelcome confusion as many plants will adapt to their conditions. Nonetheless, less than ideal conditions will certainly limit your fig tree’s growth. Waterlogged soils will starve it of oxygen, which plays a key role in photosynthesis; causing the roots to rot and creating an optimal environment for disease.
- Pots: Figs grow very well in pots, and this is because the restriction on growth encourages fruit set. Figs are suited to marginally acidic soil, so all compost apart from ericaceous and mushroom is suitable. We recommend that you use a black pot as it will better absorb heat, while white mulch reflects light onto your plant.
|Common Name||Fig Tree|
|Features||Trees For Small Gardens|
|Harvest Month||August, September|
|Needs Ericaceous Compost?||No|
|Species||Fig Trees, Fruit Trees|
|Time To Cropping||1 Year|
|Trained As||Half Standard|
|Supplied As||10L Pot|
|Supplied As||9L-14L Pot|
|Type||Fruit Trees, Ornamental Trees|
|Shop By Category||Ornamental Trees|