Blue Flag Iris versicolor - 3x 9cm Pots
Iris versicolor is a rhizomatous perennial which can reach up to 50cm in height and can thrive in a variety of conditions. It is extremely hardy and low maintenance, and produces spectacular blue-violet blooms. Its foliage is green, narrow, and erect.
- Flower Colour: blue, violet, white
- Foliage Colour: green
- Approx. Growth Height: up to 1m
- Flowering Time: spring, summer
- Uses: gardens, beds and borders, walls and trellises
- Tolerance: tolerant of cold temperatures
- Growing Habit: clump-forming
- Exposure: exposed, sheltered
- Hardiness: hardy
- Rate of Growth: will reach maximum height in 2-5 years
- Light Requirements: full sun
- Soil Requirements: clay, loamy, sand, neutral, acid
- Moisture: moist to wet, fertile
Caring and Maintenance:
This plant is extremely low maintenance and hardy, and requires no pruning. Propagate by division from midsummer to the beginning of autumn - replant immediately.
This plant will thrive in moist, poorly drained, humus-rich soil, such as is found at the margins of ponds and streams. It can grow in up to 10cm of water, and can also survive drier conditions once established.
A perennial is a plant that lives for more than two years. Perennials are flowering plants which grow and bloom over the spring and summer and then die back every autumn and winter. They typically grow structures that allow them to adapt to living from one year to the next through a form of vegetative reproduction rather than seeding. Perennial plants often have deep, extensive root systems which can hold soil to prevent erosion, capture dissolved nitrogen before it can contaminate ground and surface water, and outcompete weeds. They grow very well in conditions that are poor in resources due to their earlier emergence in the spring, and the development of larger root systems which can access water and soil nutrients deeper in the soil.
This plant is suitable for zones 1 & 2 of a pond.
Below is a comparison of pot sizes. From left to right: 9cm Pot, 1L Pot, 3L Pot