Chinese Rhubarb 'Atrosanguineum' Rheum palmatum - 1L Pot
This plant is a robust, herbaceous perennial that produces rich, purple/dark green foliage. In summer, it has large spikes of bright pink flowers that push up through the middle of the clumps. It is a moisture-loving plant that will make a dramatic impact in borders and bog gardens.
- Foliage Colour: purple/dark green in spring, summer and autumn
- Flower Colour: dark pink in summer
- Approx. Growth Height: 1.5m - 2.5m
- Max. Spread: 1m - 1.5m
- Flowering Time: summer
- Uses: beds, bog gardens
- Exposure: exposed, sheltered
- Growing Habit: clump-forming
- Hardiness: hardy
- Rate of Growth: max. height in 2-5 years
Please note: this is an ornamental plant that does not offer any edible produce. Although it is related to the common garden rhubarb plant, it does not produce the same edible red stems. This plant has no edible parts and the leaves are actually poisonous if consumed, as with all varieties of rhubarb.
- Light Requirements: full sun, partial shade
- Moisture: poorly-drained, moist but well-drained
- Soil requirements: acidic, neutral, loamy, clay
Grows in any moist soil in full sun or partial shade. It is a great plant for bog gardens and marshes.
Caring and Maintenance
Water to keep adequately moist during dry periods.