Common Spike-rush Eleocharis palustris - 3x 9cm Pots
Eleocharis palustris is a rhizomatous, aquatic perennial with upright green stems surrounded by leaf sheaths. It bears brownish, oval-shaped flowering spikes in summer and autumn.
- Flower Colour: green-brown
- Foliage Colour: dark green
- Approx. Growth Height: up to 70cm
- Flowering Time: summer
- Uses: bog gardens, pond margins
- Tolerance: non-frost tolerant until established
- Growing Habit: clump-forming, spreading, upright
- Exposure: exposed or sheltered
- Hardiness: hardy
- Rate of Growth: will reach maximum height in 5-10 years
- Caution: This plant is toxic if eaten, and may cause skin and eye irritation. Handle carefully, and wash hands after contact.
|Supplied AsTitle ||Price ||Link |
|£16.99 || |
|1L Pot |
|RRP £13.99|| |
- Light Requirements: full sun
- Soil Requirements: loam, chalky, sandy, clay, neutral, acid
- Moisture: pond/in water
Caring and Maintenance:
This plant is sensitive to frost, which is why we recommend planting in an aquatic planting basket. These baskets are handy when the plant needs to be stored in a frost free environment in the winter months.
Plant in aquatic basket of loamy soil, fully submerged. Propagate by division and seeds in spring.
A perennial is a plant that lives for more than two years. Perennials are flowering plants which grow and bloom over the spring and summer and then die back every autumn and winter. They typically grow structures that allow them to adapt to living from one year to the next through a form of vegetative reproduction rather than seeding. Perennial plants often have deep, extensive root systems which can hold soil to prevent erosion, capture dissolved nitrogen before it can contaminate ground and surface water, and outcompete weeds. They grow very well in conditions that are poor in resources due to their earlier emergence in the spring, and the development of larger root systems which can access water and soil nutrients deeper in the soil.
Below is a comparison of pot sizes. From left to right: 9cm Pot, 1L Pot, 3L Pot