Corylus maxima 'Red Filbert' | Hazelnut Tree
Corylus maxima 'Rote Zellernuss' (Rote Zellernuss Red Filbert) - 9L Pot
This spreading shrub fruits hairy brown husks and brown nuts which contain white-skinned kernels, which are ready to harvest in the autumn. Originally from southern Europe, these trees have been grown in Britain for thousands of years. Once dried, these nuts will keep for months, and can be enjoyed all through the winter months.
- Arrives as: 9L Pot
- Approx. Height on Arrival: 60-90cm
- Approx. Growth Height: 3m
- Rate of Growth: Fast
- Flower Colour: Yellow catkins
- Foliage Colour: Green
- Tree is approx 2 years old with a 1 year old rootstock
- Flowering Period: Late Winter (Feb-March)
- Harvesting Period: September
- Season of Use: September - October
- Growing Habit: bush, cordon, espalier, fan
- Uses: Eating fresh
- Hardiness: Fully hardy
- Exposure: Exposed, sheltered
- Self pollinating: Yes - (see 'Pollination' section below)
- Scented: Barely
- Wildlife friendly - Attracts bees and other pollinating insects
We have developed an eco friendly polypot that is currently in use across our 9 litre range. This polypot has less than 20% of the plastic used by a regular pot, and is importantly recyclable. Polypots also prevent root spiraling, encouraging a healthier root system.
All trees arrive in an extra thick cardboard box with a clamp to hold their pot in place. This prevents them from moving around on their journey.
Nursery staff will wrap the roots of our bare root trees and use compost to keep them moist during transportation. This extra protection prevents them from drying out, allowing for a flying start. We also use the same specialised box that our potted trees have to keep them nice and secure as they make their way to your home.
|Needs Ericaceous Compost?||No|