Crataegus x lavallei (Lavalle Hawthorn) - 9L Pot
With a beautiful, red-centred, white flower, this hawthorn has sharp thorns on its branches, and is very popular with the wildlife, bringing them flocking to your garden. The fruits are large and orange-red, but will cause mild stomach upsets if ingested, so it's best to avoid them and keep them out of the way of children. Able to grow in almost any soil, this hardy plant will give you a small, dense tree, which will surely bring you delight.
- Flower Colour: white
- Foliage Colour: green
- Approx. Growth Height: 5m
- Comes in a: 9L polypot (not a rigid pot)
- Approx. Height on Arrival: 150-170cm
- Tree is approx 3 years old with a 1 year old rootstock
- Flowering Period: spring
- Tolerance: frost tolerant, fairly drought tolerant once established
- Growing Habit: bushy
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Exposure: exposed, sheltered
- Rate of Growth: fast
- Scented: barely
- Wildlife friendly - attracts bees and other pollinating insects
- Light Requirements: full sun
- Soil Requirements: neutral, clay, loam, sand
- Moisture: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile
Caring and Maintenance
Water young trees regularly until roots are well established. Trim annually from mid to late summer. Apply some fertilizer in spring in order to promote healthy growth and a good crop. Optionally, mulch in spring. Check tree ties regularly and loosen any if necessary to avoid rubbing of the stems.
Suited to almost all, well-drained and moderately fertile soils with pH between 6.5 and 7.5 in an exposed or sheltered location in full sun.
Before planting your tree, clean up all wandering weeds and keep a clean ring around the tree base. Water well during the first year until well established.
Autumn is the best season for planting trees, as the soil moisture and heat allow easier and faster root establishment and regeneration of damaged root systems.
This is an example of our polypot - note the fruit/ornamental trees we stock will vary in appearance according to species and season.