Crispa Elodea Crispa - Pack of 5 Bunches
Elodea Crispa is an aquatic submerged perennial plant which is adaptable to shallow or deep water. It is the most popular oxygenating plant and features upright stems with bunches of dark green, curly leaves which can be eaten by fish.
- Foliage Colour: dark green
- Approx. Growth Height: up to 100cm
- Plant diameter: 2-7cm
- Planting Time: spring
- Uses: zone 4 of a pond, bog gardens
- Habit: clump-forming
- Exposure: exposed, sheltered
- Hardiness: hardy
- Rate of Growth: fast, vigorous (once established)
- Suitable for small, medium and large ponds
- Light Requirements: full sun, partial sun
- Moisture: shallow water, damp soil
- Soil requirements: clay, loamy, sandy, acidic, alkaline, neutral
Elodea Crispa can be planted in a medium sized pot or simply dropped into water and left to establish itself; however, we recommend placing aquatic and marginal plants in pond plant baskets filled with aquatic soil topped with a thin layer of gravel. It helps to control the growth of the plant as well as prevent the soil from washing away. Ideal planting container: 11cm mesh basket per plant. Planting depth: 10-150cm. This plant is suitable for zone 4 of a pond.
Caring and Maintenance
This is a very low maintenance aquatic plant which spreads to form large clumps. The old stems growth should be removed from the lower depths of the pond to maintain the look and function of the plant. All wandering stems may be cut to control plant growth.
Oxygenating plants grow from the bottom of ponds or water features. Their submerged leaves give off bubbles of oxygen, improving the water quality for fish and other pond life and maintaining the ecology balance of the the pond. These plants also absorb mineral salts from the water and reduce algae growth.