Dwarf Rhubarb Gunnera magellanica - 1L Pot - Cut Back
The Dwarf Rhubarb is a tender perennial with glossy green leaves. In the summer, it produces small green flowers which are followed by red fruits on female plants. It is a moisture loving plant that will grow well in bog gardens and damp conditions.
Please note: this is an ornamental plant that does not offer any edible produce. Although it is related to the common garden rhubarb plant, it does not produce the same edible red stems. This plant has no edible parts and the leaves are actually poisonous if consumed, as with all varieties of rhubarb.
- Foliage Colour: dark green in spring, summer and autumn
- Flower Colour: green in summer
- Approx. Growth Height: 15cm
- Max. Spread: 30cm
- Flowering Time: summer
- Uses: beds, bog gardens
- Exposure: sheltered
- Growing Habit: mat forming
- Hardiness: half hardy - tender in frost
- Rate of Growth: max. height in 5-10 years
- Light Requirements: full sun, partial shade
- Moisture: poorly-drained, moist but well-drained
- Soil requirements: acidic, alkaline, neutral, loamy, clay
Grow in permanently wet soil. It is a great plant for bog gardens and damp areas. Preferably place in a partial shade area, but if it is in a full sun location then ensure the soil is adequately wet. It requires a male partner to produce fruit.
Caring and Maintenance
Water to keep adequately moist during dry periods.