Gardener's Garters Phalaris Picta - 9cm Pot x 3
Phalaris Picta is an ornamental perennial aquatic grass which is suitable for covering pond margins and borders. It is a distinctive emergent grass with green foliage, white stripes and small narrow panicles of spikelets in summer. Phalaris Picta is a semi-evergreen, which means that the foliage of the plant persists and remains green throughout mild winters.
- Foliage Colour: white/green
- Flower Colour: green panicles
- Current Size: 4-5cm
- Approx. Growth Height: up to 60cm
- Max. spread: 2m
- Planting Time: spring
- Flowering Time: summer
- Uses: zone 1 & 2 of a pond, bog gardens, boarders, ground covers
- Exposure: exposed, sheltered
- Habit: tall emergent, mat forming, spreading
- Hardiness: hardy
- Rate of Growth: average to fast
- Suitable for medium and large ponds
|Supplied AsTitle ||Price ||Link |
|£16.99 || |
|1L Pot |
|RRP £13.99|| |
|3L Pot |
|RRP £19.99 || |
- Light Requirements: full sun, partial sun
- Moisture: damp ground, shallow water, poorly drained
- Soil requirements: neutral, acidic, alkaline, sand, clay, loam, chalky
- Optimum planting depth: up to 20cm above the crown of the plant
- Plant spacing: 50cm - 1m
- Ideal planting container: minimum 11cm mesh basket per plant
Aquatic and marginal plants should be placed in pond plant baskets filled with aquatic soil (sold separately) and topped with a thin layer of gravel to help prevent the soil from washing away. This plant is suitable for zones 1 & 2 of a pond.
Caring and Maintenance:
This is a very low maintenance plant which requires a well moisturised environment. Propagate by division from spring to mid summer. All wandering clumps can be trimmed to control plant growth. Can be cut down in autumn to encourage new, profuse growth in spring.
Plants from the Ornamental collection grow naturally in shallow waters and at the edges of ponds. Low growing rafting types have charming flowers and attractive foliage, whilst tall emergent plants add structure and should be planted at the far side of the pond or water feature. We have a wonderful variety of ornamental marginal plants available, with their flowering times ranging from as early as February through to October.
Below is a comparison of pot sizes. From left to right: 9cm Pot, 1L Pot, 3L Pot