Heart-leaved Houttuynia - Houttuynia Cordata - 1L Pot
The heart-leaved houttuynia is a wide spreading, herbaceous perennial to 30cm in height with blue-green leaves with striking red edges, and with dense white and yellow flowers that bloom in spring.
- Foliage Colour: green
- Flower Colour: pink and purple in summer and autumn
- Approx. Growth Height: 0.1m - 0.5m
- Max. Spread: 0.5m - 1m
- Flowering Time: summer
- Planting Time: spring/summer
- Uses: ponds
- Exposure: exposed, sheltered
- Growing Habit: clump forming
- Hardiness: hardy
- Rate of Growth: max height in 1-2 years
- suitable for medium and large ponds
- Light Requirements: full sun
- Moisture: poorly-drained
- Soil requirements: acidic, neutral, alkaline, boggy, loamy, sandy, chalky
Plant in a medium or large sized pot with up to 30cm of water above the planting basket. Aquatic and marginal plants should be placed in pond plant baskets filled with aquatic soil (sold separately) and topped with a thin layer of gravel to help prevent the soil from washing away. This plant is suitable for zone 1 and 2 of a pond.
Caring and Maintenance
This is a very low maintenance yet it should be cut back after flowering to prevent it from spreading too far.
Pond Plant Benefits
Marginal and pondside plants add interest, colour and structure to ponds, and offer the benefit of delightful fragrance. They are ideal for places near to patio or decking areas, where their sweet aroma can be appreciated. The plants can be positioned around the perimeter of a pond or on levelled shelves for original and attractive exposure. Marginal plants should be planted in boggy ground or shallow water for optimal growth results.