Louisiana Iris Iris 'Black Gamecock' - 3L Pot
The Black Gamecock is a deciduous, clump forming rhizomatous perennial with erect, bright green leaves. Striking purple and purple-black flowers with bright yellow bands in the centre of each petal bloom in spring and summer.
- Foliage Colour: bright-green in spring and summer
- Flower Colour: dark-purple in summer
- Approx. Growth Height: 0.75m
- Max. Spread: 0.6m
- Flowering Time: summer
- Planting Time: spring/summer
- Uses: ponds
- Exposure: exposed, sheltered
- Growing Habit: erect
- Toxicity: ingestion may cause severe discomfort
- Hardiness: hardy
- Rate of Growth: max height in 2-5 years
|Supplied AsTitle ||Price ||Link |
|3L Pot |
|£20.99 || |
- Light Requirements: full shade, partial shade
- Moisture: boggy damp conditions
- Soil requirements: acidic, clay, boggy, loamy, sandy,
Plant in moist to wet, deep, humus-rich soil, with an acid ph, and at the margins of the pond to get the best results. Marginal plants should be placed in pond plant baskets filled with aquatic soil (sold separately) and topped with a thin layer of gravel to help prevent the soil from washing away. This plant is suitable for zone 1 of a pond.
Caring and Maintenance
This is a very low maintenance. You should cut back any dying foliage in autumn, and old flower stems can be cut down after flowering.
Pond Plant Benefits
Pondside plants add interest, colour and structure to ponds, and offer the benefit of delightful fragrance. They are ideal for places near to patio or decking areas, where their sweet aroma can be appreciated. The plants can be positioned around the perimeter of a pond for original and attractive exposure.
Below is a comparison of pot sizes. From left to right: 9cm Pot, 1L Pot, 3L Pot