Madame Hardy' Shrub Rose - 5.5L Pot
Strongly scented stunning pure white rose
A damask rose with medium sized, pure white flowers and a strong fragrance. 'Madame Hardy' has been awarded the Award of Garden Merit given by the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS), which helps gardeners make informed choices about plants.
- Flowering Period: Mid-Summer
- Type: Rambling
- Flower Colour: White
- Flower Type: Double
- Fragrant: Strong
- Features: Tolerates some shade
- Supplied As: 5.5L Pot
- Height on Arrival: 15-60cm (6-24in)
- Age: 2 Years
- Eventual Height & Spread: 1.5m x 1.5m (5 x 5ft)
Our roses are carefully pruned during the colder months to help them develop strong, healthy growth in spring. For this reason, you may find that a rose arriving early in the year is cut back to around 6 inches above the ground. Rest assured that they will burst into life come springtime, growing to 2ft (or more) in the first year.
Later in the year, our trusted nursery will endeavour to send out roses with several buds that are almost ready to open. They ensure this by staggering early pruning to delay the flowering period. Although not always possible, the majority of customers will receive a plant with flowers that are about to bloom.
Nursery staff will wrap the roots of bare root plants and use compost to keep them moist during transportation. This extra bit of protection prevents them from drying out, allowing for a flying start.
Our trusted rose grower has spent years developing the perfect packaging to protect your plant. The extra thick cardboard box has a specially designed clamp to hold the pot in place at the bottom of the box. This prevents any movement during transit, keeping your rose nice and secure as they make their way to your home.
Bare root and containerised roses have differing planting requirements, detailed below:
- Watering: Bare root roses should have their roots soaked in water for up to 2 hours before planting, while with containerised roses, it is important to drench their root ball before planting.
- Pruning: Another difference is that for bare root roses, it is useful to prune their woody roots back a few inches. However, for containerised roses, you should free any spiralized roots growing around their rootball's circumference.
- Planting: With bare root roses, you should dig a hole to enable the graft point to be above the soil, but with containerised roses, the pot should sit no lower than an inch below the ground.
- With both, you should dig a hole that is twice the radius of their rootball. Stake your roses no more than 2 - 3 inches from the stem, and make sure that they are pointing away from the prevailing wind.
- Fill the planting hole with a mix of compost and garden soil, finishing with fertiliser and mycorrhizal fungi. Take care to not compress the soil.
- Provide your rose with a generous watering.
- Add mulch on top (this can be bark and wood chippings, compost, manure, leaf-mould, and stones), and ensure that these do not touch the stem of your rose.
- Apply fertiliser and replace decomposed mulch come spring.
- Hardiness: Modern roses are produced from an amalgamation of a rose species, and many of which are accustomed to conditions colder than the UK’s.
- Position: Roses benefit from being planted in full sun. Planting your rose in a sheltered spot will also allow them to put greater resources into their flowering display.
- Soil: Soil types can be an unwelcome confusion as many plants will adapt to their conditions. Nonetheless, less than ideal conditions will certainly limit your rose’s growth. Waterlogged soils will starve them of oxygen, which plays a key role in photosynthesis; causing their roots to rot and creating an optimal environment for disease.
- Pots: Patio and miniature roses work well in 40cm pots, while compact and climbing roses are better suited to 60cm containers. You should prune your rose's roots before planting to encourage fibrous growth, and apply mulch and water frequently during the warmer months.
|Deciduous Or Evergreen||Deciduous|
|Needs Ericaceous Compost?||No|
|Is Scented?||Yes, Mildly|
|Supplied As||5.5L Pot|
|Supplied As||4L-5L Pot|
|Type||Ornamental Shrubs, Rose Plants|
|Is Disease Resistant?||Yes|