Magnolia grandiflora 'Goliath' 25L Pot
A favourite amongst estate landscapers for many years, this particular Magnolia has, in the past, been a bit harder to come by than its closest relatives such as Exmouth and Gallisoniensis. However, it is currently in high demand and rightly so as a hardier alterantive to the above which flowers at an earlier age.
Like most Grandiflora, the huge glossy green leaves are contrasted with brown satin undersides ensuring an all year round treat.In late summer there is a beautiful show of truely giant white cup-shaped flowers, making Magnolia Grandiflora 'Goliath' an outstanding feature tree for any garden.
Keep well shaped by tidying up any damaged or unsightly growth in spring. If at all possible, plant this Magnolia in a fairly sheltered spot out of strong winds.
- Comes in a: 25L Pot
- Approx. Height on Arrival: 1.8-2.4m
- Tree is approx. 4 years old
- Approx. Growth Height: 6-10m
- Approx. Growth Spread: 5-10m
- Rate of Growth: Max. height in 10-15years
- Flower Colour: Creamy white
- Foliage Colour: Glossy green
- Flowering Period: Spring (April - June)
- Growing Habit: Bushy
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Exposure: Sheltered, exposed
- Scented: Yes - very scented
- Wildlife friendly - attracts bees and other pollinating insects
- Light Requirements: Full sun to partial shade
- Soil Requirements: Prefers well drained - acidic soil
Caring and Maintenance
Plant in moist, well-drained soil in full sun or partial shade. Select a position offering shelter from cold winds. Mix in a slow-release fertiliser when planting and water well. Prune in mid-summer if necessary
- Planting Distance: 3-4m minimum
Before planting your tree, clean up all wandering weeds and keep a clean ring around the tree base. Water well during the first year until well established.
Autumn/ spring are the best season for planting, as the soil moisture and heat allow easier and faster root establishment and regeneration of damaged root systems.