Needle Spikerush Eleocharis acicularis - 1L Pot
This aquatic perennial has fine, grass like leaves, and brown flowering spikes sit atop its stems. It is a low maintenance plant that can be planted in pond margins up to 30cm deep.
- Foliage Colour: green
- Flower Colour: green-brown
- Approx. Growth Height: 20cm
- Max. Spread: 3m
- Planting Time: spring
- Flowering Time: summer
- Uses: ponds
- Exposure: exposed, sheltered
- Growing Habit: clump-forming, compact, spreading, upright/li>
- Hardiness: hardy
- Rate of Growth: max. height in 5-10 years
- suitable for medium and large ponds
- Light Requirements: full sun
- Moisture: poorly drained
- Soil requirements: acidic, neutral, loamy
Plant in a medium or large sized pot with up to 30cm of water above the planting basket. Aquatic and marginal plants should be placed in pond plant baskets filled with aquatic soil (sold separately) and topped with a thin layer of gravel to help prevent the soil from washing away. This plant is suitable for zones 1, 2 and 3 of a pond.
- Planting Depth: up to 30cm above the basket
Caring and Maintenance
This is a very low maintenance plant. Propagate by seed division if desired.
Pond Plant Benefits
Marginal and pondside plants add interest, colour and structure to ponds, and offer the benefit of delightful fragrance. They are ideal for places near to patio or decking areas, where their sweet aroma can be appreciated. The plants can be positioned around the perimeter of a pond or on levelled shelves for original and attractive exposure. Marginal plants should be planted in boggy ground or shallow water for optimal growth results.