Pomegranate Plant | Punica granatum
Pomegranate - Punica Granatum 9cm Pot
The pomegranate plant form is that of a small deciduous tree or large shrub and can reach heights of up to 20 feet if left allowed to grow. Pomegranates are naturally multi-stemmed but can be pruned to a single trunk. Originally grown for their fruit, they are also known for the beautiful red flowers that can occur for several months in the spring and early summer. Most commonly, they are red-orange, but white, pink, and variegated flowers may also be found.
This ancient French variety of pomegranate is very hardy and will be fine in the UK climate with fruits ripening naturally outdoors in the southern half of the country. This pomegranate produces a good crop of large fruits which boast an unmistakable flesh with a sweet but sharp taste. The fruits are packed with antioxidants and noted for the health benefits.
The plants will arrive 2 years old and they generally start to produce fruit 1-2 seasons later.. They are self-fertile, however will produce a bumper crop if planted in close proximity to a pollinating partner.
- Arrives as: 9cm Pot Shrub
- Approx height on arrival: 15-20cm
- Shrub is approx. 2 years old
- Fruit: Large red fruits
- Flower Colour: Red
- Foliage Colour: Green
- Approx. Growth Height: 5-6m
- Approx Spread: 1m
- Flowering Period: Spring
- Harvesting Period: November
- Tolerance: Frost tolerant, fairly drought tolerant once established
- Growing Habit: Bushy
- Self pollinating: Yes
- Uses: Eating fresh, cooking, jams/preserves, salads
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Rate of Growth: max. Height in 5-7 years
- Scented: No
- Wildlife friendly - Attracts bees and other pollinating insects, provides food for birds
|Needs Ericaceous Compost?||No|