Prunus sargentii (Sargent's Cherry) - 9L Pot
A hardy plant that is suitable for a variety of soils; this beautiful flowering cherry will add a delicate focal point to your garden. It is sure to provide you with a stunning spectacle for years to come. As young green leaves mature, they add a bronze hue to the floral extravaganza. This tree may fruit in autumn, but this is not guaranteed.
- Flower Colour: dark pink
- Foliage Colour: green in spring/summer, red/orange in autumn
- Approx. Growth Height: 6m
- Comes in a: 9L polypot (not a rigid pot)
- Approx. Height on Arrival: 150-170cm
- Tree is approx. 3 years old with a 1 year old rootstock
- Flowering Period: spring (April - May)
- Growing Habit: bushy, half standard, fans
- Hardiness: hardy
- Exposure: sheltered or exposed
- Rate of Growth: max. height in 20-50 years
- Scented: mildly
- Wildlife friendly - attracts bees and other pollinating insects
- Light Requirements: full sun
- Soil Requirements: acid, alkaline, neutral, clay, loamy, sandy, chalky
- Moisture: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile
Caring and Maintenance
Propagate by budding or grafting, although softwood cuttings in early summer with bottom heat can be successful. Water young trees regularly until roots are well established. Trim annually from mid to late summer. Apply some fertiliser in spring in order to promote healthy growth. Optionally, mulch in spring. Check tree ties regularly and loosen any if necessary to avoid rubbing of the stems.
- Planting Distance: 6m minimum
Suited to almost all well-drained and moderately fertile soils with pH between 4.5 and 7.5 in a sheltered, full sun or partial shade location.
Before planting your tree, clean up all wandering weeds and keep a clean ring around the tree base. Water well during the first year until well established.
Autumn is the best season for planting trees, as the soil moisture and heat allow easier and faster root establishment and regeneration of damaged root systems.
This is an example of our polypot - note the fruit/ornamental trees we stock will vary in appearance according to species and season.