A deciduous, almost thornless hedging plant bearing unique grey and purple foliage, maroon stems and rose pink flowers. These blooms change to red rose hips in autumn to extend the period of colour provided to your hedging. Will stand any amount of trimming.
|Discounts for quantity |
- Flower Colour: pink with white centre
- Foliage Colour: grey-green and purple
- Approx. Growth Height: 2m (7ft)
- Flowering Period: summer
- Tolerance: shade tolerant
- Growing Habit: spreading
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Exposure: exposed, sheltered
- Rate of Growth: fast
- Final Size if Untrimmed: medium sized shrub
- Wildlife: attracts bees and other insects
- Arrives bare-root at a height of 45-60cm (1’6”-2ft)
- Light Requirements: full sun, partial shade
- Soil Requirements: all soils
- Moisture: well-drained, moist but well-drained
- Planting Distance: 50cm (1’8”)
Redleaf Rose can be planted from November to March, when the hedge is dormant. Ensure that the area where you are going to plant the hedge is clear and weed-free.
Caring and Maintenance
Should be pruned in winter, just after planting, and for two years after that. On planting, cut back leading shoots and side shoots by one-third, cutting to a well placed bud. Repeat this in the second winter to prevent straggly growth and thicken up the hedge base. Then trim every June after that.
Maintain at 90-180cm (3-6ft).