Scarlet Monkey Flower Mimulus cardinalis - 1L Pot
Mimulus cardinalis is a clump-forming perennial with dark green foliage and vivid red flowers. It makes an ideal waterside plant, and is low maintenance and eye catching.
- Flower Colour: red
- Foliage Colour: dark green
- Approx. Growth Height: up to 40cm
- Flowering Time: summer
- Uses: gardens, beds and borders, bog gardens, pond margins
- Growing Habit: clump-forming, spreading
- Exposure: exposed or sheltered
- Hardiness: hardy
- Rate of Growth: will reach maximum height in 2-5 years
- Light Requirements: full sun
- Soil Requirements: loam, chalky, sandy, clay, neutral, acid
- Moisture: boggy conditions, pond/in water
Caring and Maintenance:
Remove faded flower spikes as necessary, and add compost to improve soil moisture. Propagate through division, seeds, or softwood cuttings.
Plant in reliably moist soil in full sun or partial shade. Sow seeds in containers in a cold frame if temperatures are low.
A perennial is a plant that lives for more than two years. Perennials are flowering plants which grow and bloom over the spring and summer and then die back every autumn and winter. They typically grow structures that allow them to adapt to living from one year to the next through a form of vegetative reproduction rather than seeding. Perennial plants often have deep, extensive root systems which can hold soil to prevent erosion, capture dissolved nitrogen before it can contaminate ground and surface water, and outcompete weeds. They grow very well in conditions that are poor in resources due to their earlier emergence in the spring, and the development of larger root systems which can access water and soil nutrients deeper in the soil.
Below is a comparison of pot sizes. From left to right: 9cm Pot, 1L Pot, 3L Pot