Shallot 'Red Sun' | 15 Bulbs
15 "Red Sun" Shallot Sets
Arguably the best of the red shallots, the allium cepa "Red Sun" shallot plants produce good yields of crisp, white-fleshed bulbs with signature red-tinged skin. These shallots have an excellent flavour and can be used for cooking, salads, or pickling. They also have long storage potential.
Planting Tip - If the ground is too wet, consider planting in raised beds.
- Size: 15 sets
- Type: Shallot
- Hardiness: Fully hardy
- Planting Time: February to March
- Planting Depth: 2cm (1")
- Planting Distance: 15cm (6")
- Harvesting Time: From late June
- Uses: Multi purpose
Our bulbs are all harvested at just the right time to ensure they are of the best quality and size. With careful handling and specialised packaging, we can assure you that your bulbs will arrive in perfect condition.
Shallots are easy to grow. Below we address some common queries:
- Hardiness: shallots are fully hardy and are well-suited to the UK's climate.
- Planting In Pots: suitable for growing in pots at least 20cm (8in) in diameter and depth.
- Position: plant in full sun for best results.
- Soil Types: shallots can be planted in any type of soil.
- Soil Preparation: dig in plenty of compost or well-rotted manure before planting.
- Planting Distance: plant shallot sets 8-15cm (3-6in) apart 3cm (1in) deep so the tip is showing, in rows 30cm (12in) apart.
- Pest Control: ensure good soil sterilization, rotational practices, and crop nutrition to reduce risk of pests.
- Watering Requirements: water regularly, particularly during dry spells.
|Needs Ericaceous Compost?||No|
|Supplied As||Vegetable Bulbs, Tubers & Sets|
|Shop By Category||Vegetable Plants|