Sweet Galingale - Cyperus Longus - 3L Pot
The Sweet Galingale is a vigorous grower with tall, thin, arching leaves which are a rich green colour with spiky, red-brown flowers in summer. It lives happily at the edge of a pond or in water up to 15cm deep.
- Foliage Colour: green in spring and summer/brown in autumn
- Flower Colour: reddish-brown in summer
- Approx. Growth Height: 1.5m
- Max. Spread: 0.9m
- Flowering Time: summer
- Planting Time: spring/summer
- Uses: ponds
- Exposure: exposed, sheltered
- Growing Habit: arching
- Hardiness: hardy
- Rate of Growth: max height in 2-5 years
- suitable for medium and large ponds
- Light Requirements: full sun
- Moisture: poorly-drained
- Soil requirements: acidic, neutral, alkaline, boggy, loamy, sandy, chalky
Plant in a medium or large sized pot when growing in a pond, as the plant may become invasive. It is best planted with up to 30cm of water above the planting basket. Aquatic and marginal plants should be placed in pond plant baskets filled with aquatic soil (sold separately) and topped with a thin layer of gravel to help prevent the soil from washing away. This plant is suitable for zone 1 and 2 of a pond.
Caring and Maintenance
This is a very low maintenance yet it should be cut back after flowering to prevent it from spreading too far.
Pond Plant Benefits
Marginal and pondside plants add interest, colour and structure to ponds, and offer the benefit of delightful fragrance. They are ideal for places near to patio or decking areas, where their sweet aroma can be appreciated. The plants can be positioned around the perimeter of a pond or on levelled shelves for original and attractive exposure. Marginal plants should be planted in boggy ground or shallow water for optimal growth results.