Variegated Pennywort Hydrocotyle Variegata - 9cm Pot x 3
Hydrocotyle Variegata is an aquatic submerged perennial plant which is adaptable to shallow or deep water. It features intricate, ornamental foliage and masses of mid green leaves with cream circumferences, which have edges in a slight shade of pink. The leaves grow on long, creeping stalks, which create extensive ground covers and a good habitat for pond life. Small, white, cup-shaped flowers emerge above the water surface in summer.
- Foliage Colour: mid-green
- Flower Colour: white
- Approx. Growth Height: up to 10cm
- Planting Time: spring
- Flowering Time: summer
- Uses: zone 2, 3 & 4 of a pond, ground cover, bog gardens, water features, streams, waterfalls
- Habit: low rafting, clump-forming
- Exposure: exposed, sheltered
- Attracts: small flies
- Hardiness: hardy
- Rate of Growth: average to fast
- Suitable for small, medium and large ponds
- Light Requirements: full sun, partial sun
- Moisture: shallow water, damp soil
- Soil requirements: clay, loamy, sandy, acidic, alkaline, neutral
Plant in a medium sized pot with up to 45cm of water above the planting basket. Plant spacing: 30-50cm. Aquatic and marginal plants should be placed in pond plant baskets filled with aquatic soil (sold separately) and topped with a thin layer of gravel to help prevent the soil from washing away. Ideal planting container: 11cm mesh basket per plant. This plant is suitable for zones 2, 3 & 4 of a pond.
Caring and Maintenance:
This is a very low maintenance aquatic plant. Hydrocotyle Variegata can be propagated by division in spring or grown from seeds. All wandering stems may be cut to control plant growth.
Oxygenating plants grow from the bottom of ponds or water features. Their submerged leaves give off bubbles of oxygen, improving the water quality for fish and other pond life and maintaining the ecology balance of the the pond. These plants also absorb mineral salts from the water and reduce algae growth.
Below is a comparison of pot sizes. From left to right: 9cm Pot, 1L Pot, 3L Pot