Variegated Water Dropwort Oenathe Aquatica Flamingo - 9cm Pot x 3 - Cut Back
Oenathe Aquatica Flamingos is a delightful rafting aquatic perennial plant which can be used to cover pond margins and create a good habitat for pond creatures. This plant is grown for its attractive foliage, as it has pinnate, variegated leaves in pale green, white, and pink, which grow on horizontal stems with clusters of small, white, star-shaped flowers in summer.
- Foliage Colour: variegated
- Flower Colour: white
- Approx. Growth Height: up to 40cm
- Max. spread: 1m
- Planting Time: spring
- Flowering Time: summer
- Uses: zone 2 of a pond, bog gardens, ground covers, waterfalls, streams, ditches
- Exposure: exposed, sheltered
- Habit: clump-forming, spreading
- Hardiness: hardy
- Rate of Growth: fast, vigorous
- Suitable for medium and large ponds
- Light Requirements: full sun, partial sun
- Moisture: damp ground, shallow water, poorly drained
- Soil requirements: neutral, acidic, alkaline, sand, clay, heavy clay, loam
- Optimum planting depth: up to 24cm above the crown of the plant
- Plant spacing: approx. 50cm
- Ideal planting container: minimum 11cm mesh basket per plant
Aquatic and marginal plants should be placed in pond plant baskets filled with aquatic soil (sold separately) and topped with a thin layer of gravel to help prevent the soil from washing away. This plant is suitable for zone 2 of a pond.
Caring and Maintenance:
This is a very low maintenance plant which requires a well moisturised environment. Propagate by division in early spring. Stems may need trimming in spring to control their growth. Protect the crown of the plant during stronger winters with a thick, dry mulch.
Please note: Parts of Oenathe Aquatica Flamingo may be poisonous.
Plants from the Ornamental collection grow naturally in shallow waters and at the edges of ponds. Low growing rafting types have charming flowers and attractive foliage, whilst tall emergent plants add structure and should be planted at the far side of the pond or water feature. We have a wonderful variety of ornamental marginal plants available, with their flowering times ranging from as early as February through to October.
Below is a comparison of pot sizes. From left to right: 9cm Pot, 1L Pot, 3L Pot