Water Hawthorn Aponogeton Distachyus - 1L Pot
Aponogeton Distachyus is a deciduous or partially evergreen perennial which is native to South Africa. In spring and autumn it produces forked racemes of small, fragrant, white flowers with purple anthers, held just above the water's surface. Its elliptic, green leaves give cover to fish and other aquatic life, and provide shade which helps to reduce algae growth.
- Foliage Colour: green
- Flower Colour: white
- Approx. Growth Height: up to 15cm
- Max. Spread: 1m
- Flowering Time: spring and autumn
- Uses: zone 4 of a pond
- Exposure: exposed, sheltered
- Habit: floating
- Hardiness: hardy - may need winter protection
- Rate of Growth: medium
- Suitable for small, medium and large ponds
- Light Requirements: full sun, partial sun
- Moisture: moist, poorly drained
- Soil Requirements: neutral, acid, alkaline, sand, clay, loam
- Optimum planting depth: 10 - 90cm
- Ideal planting container: medium/large aquatic planting basket
Aquatic and marginal plants should be placed in pond plant baskets filled with aquatic soil (sold separately) and topped with a thin layer of gravel to help prevent the soil from washing away. Do not allow the plant to dry out: immerse in water immediately after potting. This plant is suitable for zone 4 of a pond.
Caring and Maintenance
Plant in a medium/large aquatic basket. Propagate by seed or rhizome division in spring. Cut back after flowering, and insert a tablet of aquatic plant fertiliser into the soil each spring.
Deep water ornamental plants grow in the deeper parts of the pond, rooted in the bottom or in planting containers. Leaves and flowers grow up on long stems and float on the surface of the water. Their blossoms will bring beauty to your pond and the flowering leaves will give cover to fish and other aquatic life, as well as provide shade which helps to reduce algae growth.