White Pickerel Weed - Pontederia Cordata Alba - 1L Pot
The White Pickerel Weed is a marginal aquatic grass with white flowers blooming in summer amidst bright green heart shaped leaves on dense, erect spikes.
- Foliage Colour: green in spring, summer and autumn
- Flower Colour: white in summer
- Approx. Growth Height: 1m - 1.5m
- Max. Spread: 0.5m - 1m
- Flowering Time: summer
- Planting Time: spring/summer
- Uses: ponds
- Exposure: exposed, sheltered
- Growing Habit: clump-forming
- Hardiness: hardy
- Rate of Growth: max height in 5-10 years
- suitable for medium and large ponds
- Light Requirements: full sun
- Moisture: poorly-drained
- Soil requirements: acidic, neutral, alkaline, boggy, loamy, sandy, chalky
Plant in a medium or large sized pot with up to 30cm of water above the planting basket. This plant is suitable for zone 2 and 3 of a pond. Aquatic and marginal plants should be placed in pond plant baskets filled with aquatic soil (sold separately) and topped with a thin layer of gravel to help prevent the soil from washing away.
- Planting Depth: up to 30cm
Caring and Maintenance
This plant is very low maintenance but it should be cut back after flowering to prevent it from spreading too far.
Pond Plant Benefits
Marginal and pondside plants add interest, colour and structure to ponds, and offer the benefit of delightful fragrance. They are ideal for places near to patio or decking areas, where their sweet aroma can be appreciated. The plants can be positioned around the perimeter of a pond or on levelled shelves for original and attractive exposure. Marginal plants should be planted in boggy ground or shallow water for optimal growth results.