2-3ft Wisteria floribunda 'Lipstick' | 3L Pot
Pendant clusters of fragrant pea-like pale mauve-pink flowers tipped with purple appear just before the leaves on this strong growing deciduous climber. The pale grey-green leaves which are attractive in their own right turn a lovely rich yellow in autumn before falling. It is ideal for growing against a wall or over a pergola in moist, but well drained soil and a position in full sun, although dappled shade will be tolerated. The height and spread can be restricted through pruning and to ensure a good display of flowers, prune once after the flowers have faded and again in mid-winter.
Our Wisteria are all grown from cuttings. We think is the best way to propagate Wisteria; they are guaranteed to be true to form unlike seedlings and they will present the same vigour and flowering as grafted plants without the risk of shooting from the rootstock below the ground.
- Flowering Period: May
- Flower Color: Pink
- Scented: Yes
- Best Location: Pergola
- Twining: Clockwise
- Suitable for Shade: No
- Features: Repeat Flowering
- Supplied As: 3L Pot
- Height on Arrival: 90cm (3ft)
- Growth Rate: Very Fast (Up to 3m Annually)
- Eventual Height & Spread: 10m x 20m (30 x 60ft)
Your climbing plant will be sent directly from our trusted grower, based in the heart of England. This means that you’ll receive a nursery fresh plant which was on the growing table one day and at your door the next. Our specialist nursery has spent decades perfecting the art of watering, feeding, and pruning climbing plants and will do so until hours before they are packed.
Your climbing plant will be expertly packaged into a specially designed, extra thick cardboard box, which will hold it securely in place. It will then be delivered via a delicate courier network to prevent any chance of damage in transit.
- Hardiness: Wisteria originates from climates that have far colder climates than that of the UK, so they will make a fully hardy addition to your garden.
- Position: Wisteria plants require full sun, and only sinensis varieties are suitable for light shade. As a rule, wisteria species with long racemes look best when growing up pergolas, while species with short racemes look best when growing up a wall. We therefore recommend that you buy floribunda varieties for pergolas and sinensis, and brachybotrys and frutescens varieties for walls. Lastly, as wisterias form thick woody roots, you should avoid having to re-plant them.
- Soil: Belonging to the legume family, Wisteria is able to fix nitrogen from the atmosphere, so does not require as much fertilising as other plants do. Your wisteria will flourish in most soils that are not compacted or waterlogged.
- Hardiness: The climbing plants we stock will are well accustomed to colder environments, so they are perfectly suited to the UK’s weather.
- Soil: Soil types can be an unwelcome confusion as many plants will adapt to their conditions. Nonetheless, less than ideal conditions will certainly limit your plant’s growth. Waterlogged soils will starve it of oxygen, which plays a key role in photosynthesis; causing its roots to rot and creating an optimal environment for disease.
|Deciduous Or Evergreen||Deciduous|
|Features||Plants For Spring Blossom, Scented, Scented Climbing Plants|
|Flowering Month||May, June|
|Needs Ericaceous Compost?||No|
|Annual Rate Of Growth||1m|
|Supplied As||3L Pot|
|Supplied As||2L-3L Pot|
|Type||Climbing Plants, Ornamental Shrubs|
|Shop By Category||Climbing Plants|