Mixed Lettuce Leaves Lettuce Seeds | Lactuca Sativa | By Mr Fothergills
Mixed Lettuce Seeds | Mr Fothergill's
Create a colourful salad bowl with our lactuca sativa Mixed Lettuce Seeds. These mixed seeds provide ready-made lettuce in a variety of shapes, colours, and textures, which is ideal for salads and sandwiches. The plants are quick and easy to grow, and well-suited to container growing.
We believe that anyone, regardless of ability can successfully grow their own plants at home, and do so in an eco-friendly and sustainable way.
Everyone should have the chance to experience the benefits that plants bring to our lives, and we have put a lot of effort into making sure that all of our products are easy to grow, even for beginners.
Sustainability is at the heart of our ethos and we have done everything we can to ensure that all of our products are as sustainable as possible, be it our plastic free, fully recyclable packaging, GM free seeds or ethically sourced compost.
- No. Seeds Per Pack: 1,200
- Sow Indoors: March - August
- Sow Outdoors: March - August
- Location: Full Sun, Partial Shade
- Harvest Time: April - October
- Hardiness: Hardy Annual
- F1 Hybrids: hybrid seeds are produced from two specially selected varieties that are kept in isolation. As they are produced from only two plants, seeds are almost identical genetically.
- Open Pollinated: open pollinated plants aren't isolated from other varieties, so are more genetically diverse.
- Heirloom: heirloom seeds are historic, some going back to Victorian times, others more recent. Heirloom varieties can be good or bad, depending on how careful the breeder is to maintain genetic similarity.
Hybrids vs Open Pollinated
As hybrids are produced from two specially selected varieties, the quality is more consistent, with a higher germination rate and improved cropping. But, as they require time, resources and know-how to create, they come to the market at a higher cost. They are also genetically unstable, and so if you keep the seeds from the resultant crop, performance is usually poor. Open Pollinated seeds are highly diverse and have often been grown for successfully for decades. Seeds from the resultant crop are usually perform well.
Annual, Biennial and Perennial
Annual plants complete their life cycle within a year, biennials in two years (usually only flowering in the second year) and perennials can live on indefinitely.
Hardy, Half-Hardy and Tender
Hardy and half-hardy plants can survive a light frost, but the latter are best moved indoors during periods of bad weather. Tender plants must be kept indoors, until after the last frost.
Lettuces are easy to grow. Below we address some common queries:
- Hardiness: this species is hardy and well-suited to the UK's climate.
- Planting In Pots: suitable for growing in containers 15cm (6in) deep or larger.
- Position: place in a sunny position or in light shade.
- Soil Types: sow in fertile compost for optimal growth.
Germination Requirements: sow in a flower bed or container into well-prepared soil and water.
Advice on hot and droopy plants
If your plants are looking a little wilted right now, don’t worry! Plants like to be filled with water to keep their structure, and when it’s hot that water evaporates.
Just give them an off-schedule watering and they’ll be right as rain in no time! Be careful not to flood them - plants don’t like extremes.
- Planting Distance (Seed Tray): sow seeds 1cm (1/2in) allowing 1-2cm (1/2-1in) between seeds.
- Planting Distance (Ground): sow seeds 1cm (1/2in) deep with 23cm (9in) between plants.
- Soil Preparation: remove weeds and large stones and rake to a fine tilth.
- Thinning: thin when the seedlings have sprouted their first pair of leaves.
- Pest Control: cover with netting or fleece to protect against birds and insects.
- Watering Requirements: water regularly, particularly during dry conditions.
Primrose is the place to be to Discover Everything Garden.
We were created in 2003 to become the UK's largest online-only garden centre. Thousands of plants, planters, awnings, garden furniture sets, water features and more line our digital shelves, and we're ready to fill your garden with comfort, quality, colour and style.
If you'd like to find out more, check out our 'About Us' page.
We want you to be happy with your purchase from the moment it arrives, but if you aren't you have the right to return it within 14 days. Just head to our Returns Page, send us an email, receive a returns number and fire your product back to us.
We'll refund the full cost as well as standard delivery.
Highlands and Islands
We calculate delivery costs at checkout based on your entered postcode, so you'll know at that stage if your chosen product can be sent to you. If you have any queries, please head to Contact Us and send over a form, or visit our Help Centre.
|Harvest Month||April, May, June, July, August, September, October|
|Needs Ericaceous Compost?||No|
|Supplied As||Seed Packet|
|Shop By Category||Vegetable Plants|